Basic digital hearing aids may require the wearer to make some manual adjustments in certain listening environments such as turning a volume control up or down, or pushing a button to change listening programs. In contrast, a more advanced hearing aid responds automatically to changes in the listener's environment, making changes based on the signals being detected by the hearing aid. The hearing aid wearer is not required to make any manual changes. As the level of the technology increases in hearing aids, so do the availability of advanced features.
Styles of Hearing Aids
Hearing aids are available in many different sizes and styles thanks to advancements in digital technology and miniaturization of the internal components. Many of today's hearing aids are considered sleek, compact and innovative – offering solutions to a wide range of hearing aid wearers.
Various hearing aid styles we offer:
- In the ear (ITE) or full shell: These devices are custom-fit to sit in the outer portion of the ear canal and are ideal for individuals with mild-to-severe hearing loss.
- Invisible in canal (IIC): These hearing aids fit deeper in the canal to provide an “invisible” appearance. They are ideal for individuals with mild-to-moderate hearing loss.
- Completely in canal (CIC): Custom-made to fit completely in the ear canal, these device have a small handle that sits outside the canal for insertion and removal. These hearing aids are designed for individuals with mild-to-moderate hearing loss.
- In the canal (ITC): These devices are made to sit inside the canal with a small portion of the hearing aid visible at the opening of the ear. They are ideal for individuals with mild-to-mildly-severe hearing loss.
- Behind the ear (BTE): The bodies of these hearing aids are worn behind the ear with a small receiver in the ear connected by a slim tube. They are ideal for individuals with mild to severe hearing loss.
- Mini BTE with slim tube and tip: The same build as a behind-the-ear device, but smaller and more discreet. Ideal for individuals with mild-to-severe hearing loss.
- BTE with earmolds: Worn behind the ear, but utilizes an earmold for a custom fit and to boost listening experience. These devices are designed for individuals with mild-to-severe hearing loss.
- Receiver-in-canal (RIC): Similar to a BTE and ITC, the receiver sits in the ear and this device comes in miniature styles. Ideal for individuals with mild-to-severe hearing loss.
- Earplugs and earmolds for hunting: Designed to protect hunters from the damaging impacts of rounds fired.
- Earplugs and earmolds for music: Designed to optimize the musician’s experience by filtering out the damaging sounds, but allowing the music to reach the wearer.
- Earplugs and earmolds for swimming: Designed to stop water from entering the ears while swimming. Available in options that float, making them easy to keep track of.
- iCustom: Designed for use with any type of earbud or button-style earphones.
- DefendEar 1: Designed to amplify during situational awareness, but still block out damaging sounds.
- DefendEar 2: Optimized for intermittent or continuous shots.
- DefendEar Hunter: Provides standard digital features and also functions optimally in wind.
Hearing Aid Products and Accessories by Manufacturer
Ideal for people with some degree of hearing loss, the Captioned Telephone, or CapTel, works like any other telephone with one important addition: It displays every word the caller says throughout the conversation. CapTel phone users can listen to the caller, and can also read the written captions in the CapTel's bright display window.
Electronic Shooter Protection (ESP)
Since 1994, ESP has served hunters and shooters by providing the original, custom-fit, in-the-ear hearing protection. ESP electronic hearing protectors and earplugs are custom-molded to your ears for a precise, comfortable fit.
LACE is an acronym for Listening And Communication Enhancement. Conceived by leading audiologists at the University of California at San Francisco, LACE is an interactive computerized aural rehabilitation program that has already helped thousands of people who live with some degree of hearing loss increase their listening skills by up to 45%.
Rechargeable Hearing Aids
Check out our rechargeable hearing aids that feature high-quality noise reduction at a price that fits your budget!
Signia offers a broad range of hearing aids for every lifestyle and all configurations of hearing loss—including completely invisible, waterproof, and rechargeable hearing aids. Signia also has a complete line of wireless accessories that connect hearing aids wirelessly to mobile phones, TVs, MP3 players, and other audio devices.
Starkey Hearing Technologies is much more than the hearing aids we produce. We are in the business of connecting people and changing lives. We believe being able to hear the world and the people around us is as essential to the human experience as breathing.
Our Starkey Hearing Aids and Accessories
At Widex, we combine years of understanding with a natural curiosity in finding solutions to individual hearing loss. Our uncompromising approach to innovation has led to such advances as the world’s first fully digital in-the-ear hearing aid, as well as our own revolutionary wireless technology.